Whether you're thinking of buying for the first time or you just need to brush up on your knowledge, here's everything you need to know about getting and paying off a mortgage.
If you're new to mortgages, here's where you'll find explanations of what mortgages are, how the amount you receive is decided and the different rates available.
- What is a mortgage?
- Understanding Mortgages
- What’s a mortgage deposit?
- Mortgage rates & decision
- Types of Mortgages
- How much can I borrow for a mortgage?
Guide for first-time buyers
Buying your first home? Congratulations! Here's a list of guides for you to familiarise yourself with mortgages and what you need to know if you're buying with someone else.
- Resources for first-time buyers
- What to ask estate agents when purchasing a property
- Buying property – what is conveyancing?
- Purchasing property with friends
- How do mortgage applications work?
- How mortgage repayments work
- Costs and fees to consider when you’re buying a home
- Getting a no deposit mortgage with bad credit
- Types of home improvement loans
- What does freehold mean?
- Buying a leasehold property
Types of mortgages
There are several different types of mortgages available - so if you're not sure which mortgage will be best, here are some articles explaining the key differences
- What is a commercial mortgage
- What is a tracker mortgage?
- Getting a second mortgage and buying a second home
- What is a 95% mortgage?
- Offset mortgages explained
- Buy-to-let mortgages explained
- What is a joint mortgage?
- Mortgages for self build and custom build homes
Setbacks when buying or selling a home
Sometimes things don't always go to plan and if you've experienced a setback, it can be frustrating. From getting gazumped to estate agent quibbles, here's what you need to know.
- Buying a property – what is gazumping?
- Selling property – estate agents vs doing it yourself
- Selling property – what to ask estate agents
- What to do if you’ve been rejected for a mortgage
Getting mortgage ready
It's a good idea to get your credit score in great shape before you apply for a mortgage. Here's why your credit score matters and what you need to do before you apply for your mortgage.
- Getting credit-ready before applying for a mortgage
- What credit score is needed for a mortgage?
- Saving for a mortgage deposit
- How do credit scores affect mortgages?
- Homebuyer's guide
Help getting on the property ladder
If you need a little extra help, there are several ways to make your deposit go further. Read more about schemes that could help you.
Guide to stamp duty
Stamp duty can be confusing. How much does it cost - and why do we need to pay it? Here's everything you need to know including the different rates.
- Stamp duty for first-time buyers
- Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) explained
- Stamp duty on new builds
- Stamp duty on second homes and buy-to-let properties
Got a query about your mortgage? Here's the best place to browse our FAQs and get the answers you need to help you make the best decision about your mortgage.
- Can I apply for a mortgage in retirement?
- Can you apply for a mortgage with credit card debt?
- Do you have Right to Buy on your council home?
- What to consider when applying for a mortgage if you’re self-employed
- What is a mortgage interview?
- What is porting a mortgage?
- What is a Help to Buy: ISA?
- What is a mortgage broker?
- What is remortgaging?
- What is a mortgage in principle?
- What happens to a mortgage after death?