Identify theft is becoming a fast-growing problem but there are ways to protect yourself and your family. Here's some useful guides on staying safe online and how to recognise the signs of identity theft.
Introduction to identity theft and how to prevent it
What is identity theft and what are the tell-tale signs to look out for if you think you've been a victim? Here's some guidance on identity theft and keeping your details safe.
- Identity theft and fraud explained
- Online Fraud Terminology
- Are you losing your identity?
- 7 Signs of Identity Theft
- How to report identity theft
- Best practices for avoiding identity theft
Identity theft and staying safe on your computer
You're safe at home - but is your home computer safe? Here's how to safeguard your online life when you're browsing the internet at home.
- What is anonymous browsing?
- How fraudsters can hijack your browser
- How secure is your email?
- Distributed Denial of Service explained
- Stay safe online: Creating a secure password
- How to avoid email fraud
Protecting your identity using online banking
Online banking is an easy way to make payments and transfer money. Here are some useful articles on how to help protect your online identity.
- How to avoid contactless card fraud
- What is credit card fraud – can you prevent it from happening to you?
- Would you do internet banking on your smart TV?
Avoiding identity theft on your mobile
Identity theft using mobile phones is continuing to rise. Here is how to stay safe while you're browsing on the move.
- Using contactless mobile payments and apps
- Protect against ID theft when making mobile payments
- How to prevent smartphone identity theft
- Safeguard your identity on mobile apps
- How fraudsters use Wi-Fi hotspots to steal data
Keeping your family safe online
Vulnerable people are at risk of being scammed if they're not aware of the dangers of identity theft. Younger children and the elderly may be most at risk - here's how to protect them online.
- Infographic: Protecting your children online
- Helping your children stay safe online
- How to protect older people from being scammed
- Preventing your child’s identity from being stolen
- e-book: Staying safe online
- Safeguard your personal information on video game consoles
- Safeguarding your family’s personal data on smart toys
- Safer Internet Day – protecting children online
Identity theft and social media
Could your social media profiles be giving away more than you think? Thieves can scour social media sites for personal information - here's how to keep yours hidden and your details safe.
- Safeguard your identity on Facebook and other social media sites
- Your social media profile and identity theft
- Protect against identity theft when sharing photos online
- Should you share your location on social media?
Online scammers are coming up with increasingly-clever ways to trick you into revealing your details. Here are some easy ways to spot what is genuine and what to watch out for.
- What is money laundering?
- What is a Ponzi scheme?
- Dealing with phishing phone scams
- How to spot and avoid romance scams
- How to Spot a Phishing Email
- Protect yourself from becoming a victim of SMS phishing
Everyday practical tips to help you stay safe online
There are ways you can protect yourself online. Here are some simple ways to keep your identity safe while you live your life to the full.
- Going on holiday - keeping your identity safe
- Infographic: Avoiding festival fraud: crime statistics and festival security
- Shopping online – staying safe against identity theft
- Safeguard your personal data when using smart home assistants
- Keeping your personal information secure when moving home
- Infographic: Are smart gadgets putting you at risk of identity theft?
- How your identity could be stolen offline
The different types of identity theft
Not all identity theft tactics are created equally. Here are just some of the different types of identity theft and the varying ways thieves try to get hold of your private information.