Coping with debt, job losses and other challenges
Sometimes, life takes unexpected twists. Unexpected large bills, losing your job or being too ill to work can impact your finances and make keeping up with your credit payments feel like an uphill struggle.
If you’re struggling to keep up with your repayments, the best thing you can do is be proactive – taking every step you can to make the situation more manageable. It’s also important to remember that you’re not alone – the helplines and services below can provide some useful reassurance and guidance.
Steps towards managing your debt:
- Speak to your lenders. Inform your lenders that you’re having financial difficulties and they may offer an agreement to help with your repayments, without having a negative impact on your credit report.
- Financial planning. Make a list of all the loans or credit cards that you need to pay off – consider focusing on the highest interest accounts first, to avoid paying even more interest in the future.
- Review your credit report. We can help you understand your financial situation by showing an overview of your credit accounts and a summary of their balances.
Important helplines and services
National Debtline is a charity who offer free, expert help and guidance on dealing with your debt. You can contact them for free on 0808 808 4000 or visit www.nationaldebtline.org.
StepChange (formerly Consumer Credit Counselling Service) help 500,000 people a year to overcome their debt problems. You can contact them for free on 0800 138 1111 or visit www.stepchange.org.
Start planning for your financial future
Get your FREE* Equifax Credit Report & Score
*Your first 30 days are free then it’s £7.95 per month. You can cancel at any time.
- Credit Experts
- What is a Credit Report?
- What is a Credit Score?
- How Credit Referencing Works
- Refused Credit
- Poor or Limited Credit History
- Coping with Debt and Job Loss
- Identity Theft and How to Help Prevent It
- Privacy in the Information Age
- How Relationships Can Affect Your Credit Score
- Lender Contact Details